- Home

What you Should Know about Asbestos in your Homes

Asbestos is a silent killer that can usually go unnoticed and its presence in your home or building is not enough to make you feel uneasy and worried. If you own a building with asbestos, you will have an extra responsibility to take since you could be held liable for the substance’s impacts. The use of asbestos has been banned in UK construction for almost two decades now. So what exactly does this mean to you and how can you protect your family from exposure to asbestos? Get information from
www.impervius.co.uk/
and read the following:

Understanding Asbestos

To know what you might be dealing with in your building, be informed about asbestos. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral product that has resistance to thermal and chemical degradation. Also, asbestos is resistant to electricity and fire, have strong fibres, and can be utilised as a binding agent. But all kinds of asbestos should be treated with caution and you must follow the correct protocol when removing any products that have this substance. This is especially important if you are not sure about the quantities present.

Asbestos in Construction

For many years, asbestos had been used in pottery, clothing, and other products. But, it has only been used in construction since the Industrial Revolution as it was applied in steam engines, turbines, boilers, and pipe insulation because of its great insulation capabilities and fire resistance. But it was in 1999 when asbestos was banned outright from UK construction. Therefore, any buildings made before the century changed could still have asbestos products in them. The most alarming aspect of this substance is that it usually takes up to fifty years until its symptoms of asbestos-related disease start to develop.

The Risk of Asbestos to Health

Asbestos-related diseases can develop if a person is exposed to the substance. The diseases can include asbestosis, pleural plaques, mesothelioma, and lung cancer. That is why exposure to asbestos must be kept as low as possible. Although there are no documented harmful effects after ingesting asbestos, it is likely for fibres to penetrate the gastrointestinal tract. An asbestos exposure is possible by breathing in air with asbestos fibres.

If you are a home or building owner and concerned over asbestos, consider getting your roof looked at and inspected by an expert. In case asbestos is found in your roof, start searching for a reputable company that offers asbestos roof encapsulation to protect your family from exposure to the material.

About Vance Maddox

Read All Posts By Vance Maddox

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *